The overarching aim for English in the national curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping our pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop a habit of reading widely and regularly, for pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, and understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their ideas and understanding
- are competent in speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrate to others and take part in debate.
Please see below for our end of year expectations for writing. Our reading expectations can be found under, 'Key information'- 'Reading at Star of the Sea'.